Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sparkly Bachelor Breakfast

Last weekend was a doozy. Knowing that I'd probably only have time (and/or energy) for one quick breakfast, I decided to head over to the lovely N Street Cafe before shipping out with some work friends to do some community service.

The Cafe is a quick walk from my house, and always reliable for a quick, simple, and tasty breakfast. It's also fun people watching, as any five minutes will probably yield hipsters, business people, and methadone clinic refugees. Their breakfast is of the simple Choose Your Own Adventure style. Pick your bread, meat, and cheese. I got a roast beef and cheddar on a croissant, along with a White Mocha, which I knew I would need to keep me awake for the long day ahead!

The meal was quicky and tasty, and I managed to snag a quick bout of internet time. The Cafe is nicely decorated, with coffee bags hanging from the ceiling, and a bathroom only tall enough for hobbits. Somehow this seems to add to the charm. The community service was through my work, and we helped clean up the Orange Grove Adult School. Our immediate supervisor annoyed me by weaseling out of doing anything actually productive. He even went so far as to bring his tiny chihuahua; proving he really had no intention of serving the community. Other than that, it was pretty rewarding, and fun working with friends.

I quieted any annoyance by reminding myself I'd be attending a World Premiere movie later that night! In the meantime, I had planned on attending Sacto MoFo; a Mobile Food Festival/Protest in Fremont Park. Sacramento recently passed a law prohibiting any food carts or mobile food trucks from staying in any one location longer than a thirty minutes, once again thwarting its own aspirations of duplicating Portland's awesomeness. The response was Mo(bile)Fo(od). However, it seems it was promoted a little too heavily, and ended up -- by all accounts -- overly crowded. I instead hung out at home and prepared for said Premiere; TFO's "Planet of the Vampire Women!" Trash Film Orgy has been running for just over a decade in Sacramento, and has graduated from simply running their annual summer festival of awesomely bad movies to producing their own exploitation-sci fi-horror flicks. "Planet" is their latest effort, and stars pretty much the entirety of what has become my group of friends these last couple years, including one of my best friends Stephanie Hyden as the adorable "pleasure clone" Astrid Corvair, and my roommate Ashley Marino as the saucy Pepper Vance. The VIP party was a lot of fun and featured delicious free eats from Ink. I decked myself out in face paint from LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends" video, commemorating both All My Friends being in the movie, as well as my background role as a sparkly bachelor.
Ashley bounced around in a dress I had custom-painted for her, and a vampire necklace made by Stephanie. The movie was even better than anyone hoped for; deliciously trashy, full of gore, shameless nudity, and effects that ranged from awesomely cheesy to just plain awesome. It's definitely a labor of love that all involved can be proud of, and I think we're all excited to see what comes from it! I went to the afterparty and had a fiercely good time, not admitting defeat until after three in the morning!
The sun found me fighting consciousness at around eight am when my good friend (and fellow Sparkly Bachelor) reminded me of my breakfasting mission. He was enjoying a baby-free morning (he's only a bachelor for pretends), and wanted to get some nosh with yours truly. We decided we'd try out Sweetwater, as they serve a later brunch and it's just a hop, skip, and a jump from his house. They have a fairly small menu, and a server who was clearly unfamiliar with tea in general (just because it comes form a red bag does not make it a red tea), but they did have tiny muffins!
Note my still-silver nails! We got the Shamrock French Toast, which boasted some connection to Bailey's which I couldn't quite discern. My buddy got a side of sausage, and I a side of bacon. The sides were served on strangely large plates, which made them look like smaller-than-usual helpings, but the French Toast was beautifully prepared and delicious.

We enjoyed the sunshine and talked about our excitement for "Planet" and any other future projects. We then wandered the area a little bit before we both retired to our own late-morning naps, full of tasty food and dreaming of distant moons.

1 comment: